CNN: “And the Secret to Happiness Is…”
by Sanjay Gupta, MD
2 min, 0 sec
Dr. Gupta makes a number of interesting points in this video.
- Happiness can help you live a longer and happier life.*
- Much of our happiness is related to our social connections. So having no social connections is correlated with less happiness and a shorter lifespan.
- Telomeres are the caps on our DNA chromosomes that measure our cellular age. The older we get, the shorter the telomeres. Someone without any close social ties will have shorter telomeres than someone of the same age with at least one close friend.
- People who tend to have a lot of negative thoughts are three times as likely to develop health problems as they age. But research indicates that even just pretending to be an optimist can help reverse this trend. In addition, changing the habitual way we think is one of the core skills that you develop in cognitive behavior therapy.
* Those of you familiar with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy will understand that happiness is not as straightforward of a concept as it may seem and being fixated on being happy actually make you miserable. But that’s a whole other discussion. But a very interesting topic. If you’d like to read more you can check out Russ Harris’s book “The Happiness Trap.”